Remember to bring your food pantry items! According to the Feeding America web site, 1 in 8 Americans struggle with hunger. YOU CAN HELP! Bring your donation any time, and place in the donation cart. We have two donation carts at Bethel Wesley: one in the Activity Center (near the kitchen), and the other in the narthex (near coat racks). Here’s a list of the top 20 food items recommended for donation: <!–split–>
Canned fish (tuna and salmon)
Canned meat (SPAM and ham)
Cooking oils (olive and canola)
Dried herbs and spices
Fruit (canned or dried)
Instant mashed potatoes
Meals in a box
Soup, stew, and chili
Whole grain cereal
January is a good time to look over the camping brochure to find the adventure that is right for you. There’s lots of camps to choose from – something for every age. Pick up a brochure outside the office today!
Bethel Wesley men meet at Denny’s (by South Park Mall) for breakfast the 1st and 3rd Wednesday’s of each month at 8:00 am. This month they will meet on January 2nd and January 16th.
This month’s Fellowship Lunch will be Thursday, 24 January at Noon in the Activity Center. Cost is $5/person. All seniors are welcome!
Cultivating our faith life is an important part of wellness. Here are a few ways to gain new perspective of yourself, others and God throughout the year. <!–split–>
- Try praying at different times during the day. You may notice that you pray differently at different times of the day.
- Laughter and rejoicing need to be a part of our faith life. Think of something funny that has happened, and thank God for giving us humor in our lives.
- Loving yourself is the first step in “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Spend a few minutes writing about what it means to love yourself. Remember that God loves you.
- Meditation or listening is a part of our faith life that we often neglect. Consider taking 5 minutes to sit quietly and breathe. Try to quiet your inner voice and just listen.
- Go for a prayerful walk and remember that all of creation belongs to God, though it can be easy to forget that. The air you breathe and the ground you walk on belong to God.
- Pray a movement prayer. Stretch out your arms. Touch your toes. Stretch your neck. Feel the brilliance in God’s creation and the way that your body is put together.
- Thankfulness comes in a variety of forms. Each day make a list of everything that you encounter for which you are thankful. At the end of the day, incorporate the list into a prayer.
Visit Church Health Reader for more healthy flyers: chreader.org
Happy New Year from Your Parish Nurse, Kara
For those of you who know me, you know that I’m a book’s best friend. I recently read this thought about two journeys for the soul. One goes from place to place seeking something or someone to satisfy. It is often disappointed and soon picks up and journeys again. The other is a journey to Jesus Christ. There one finds a peace that is lasting and a presence that satisfies and fulfills. So New Year is supremely a time for decision. By the mercies of God we have been brought and blessed with the opportunity to begin again. The New Year, however is not altogether unexplored territory. As we move through it, we shall find some well-trodden paths, and we shall see the footprints of the saints who have walked the way of God before us, the way that God himself marked out when he clothed himself in our flesh and dwelt among us full of grace and truth. <!–split–>
There will always be a familiar sign in front of us. “This is the way; walk ye in it.” This year let us follow that sign and we shall move toward that city whose maker and builder is God. Should we choose to ignore that sign and wander into the path of our own devising, and soon the territory of tomorrow will take on the dreary, futile appearance of all our wasted yesterdays.
CELEBRATE THE BIRTH OF CHRIST
Christmas Eve Candlelight Service– Monday, 24 December, 4:00 pm.
Bethel Wesley’s Cookie Walk & Bake Sale — Saturday, December 8th, 8:00 – 11:00 am in the Activity Center. Cookies are .25 cents each / $3.00 per dozen. Stay and have a cup of coffee!
The Evans Family will host a Christmas Open House in the Activity Center on Sunday, December 16th from 3:00 to 6:00 pm.
The Callahan Family Christmas Recital is Sunday, 23 December at 3:00 pm in the Sanctuary. Don’t miss this special time of music from such a talented family.
UMW Is Selling Pecans. These are high-quality pecans from this year’s crop. Purchase your pecans from Mary Ann Harvey …. $9.00 for a 16-oz. bag.
Purchase Your Poinsettias – $8.00 each. Order forms will be in the Sunday bulletins. The poinsettias will decorate the Sanctuary for our Christmas Eve Service, then you can take your plant home. afterwards.
Angel Child Names will be on the mantle in the Narthex on December 2nd and 9th. Presents need to be wrapped and brought to church by December 9. Thanks!
Bethel Wesley men meet at Denny’s by South Park Mall for breakfast the 1st and 3rd Wednesday’s of each month at 8 am. This month they will meet on Wednesday’s, December 5th and 19th.
Dine on discounted meals at local restaurants — Coupon books cost $35, with $10 going to Bethel Wesley. See Ray Edlund on Sunday mornings or purchase during the week in the office.